Follow these guidelines during the duration of your chiropractic treatment:
- Refrain from touching, probing or rubbing the areas that your chiropractor treats.
- Refrain from sudden twists or rotating a body part beyond normal limit, especially your neck.
- Refrain from bending your back or spine in any direction. Refrain from stretching, reaching or any other form of overhead work. Be specifically cautious when shampooing or brushing your hair.
- Refrain from stooping or bending suddenly to pick objects from the ground. Instead, bend your knees to lessen the strain on your lower back.
- When raising or lifting objects, bend your knees while keeping your back straight and let your leg muscles bear the strain. Keep the object as close to your body as possible.
- Take part in simple exercises to make your body strong. On the other hand, refrain from jarring activities that put a huge amount of strain on your spine and neck.
- Keep a keen eye on your posture while standing, sitting, sleeping, or even thinking.
When you relax, rest, or sleep, there are things you should remember to be doing:
- Schedule a specific time every day to relax – physically and mentally. This is integral in the rejuvenation as well as maintenance of your health.
- When sitting, pick a chair with a firm cushion to carry your weight comfortably, then sit straight. Refrain from using too soft, overstuffed chairs. Recliner chairs are acceptable only if it allows the back to be in a straight, normal position.
- Refrain from crossing your legs at the knees. Rather cross your legs at the ankles. Crossing at the knee can aggravate an existing back problem and may interfere with circulation to the lower limbs.
- Get a long good night’s sleep to rejuvenate and repair the body.
- Use a firm mattress to sleep on – one that is neither too hard nor too soft. Your mattress should be firm enough to carry your body but soft enough to let your shoulders and buttocks settle on the mattress.
- Use a pillow that is neither too high nor too low. The appropriate pillow should support your head that your neck vertebrae will be levelled with the rest of your spine. Refrain from sleeping on two pillows. Never attempt to sleep on a couch with your head on an armrest.
- Sleep on your back or on your side with your legs slightly flexed – not tightly drawn in. Refrain from sleeping on your stomach. Moreover, slightly lift your head when changing positions.
- Correctly get out of bed by turning to one side and swinging your legs off the bed while slowly pushing yourself to a sitting position – this minimises back strain.
- Refrain from watching TV or reading with your head propped up at a strained angle.
Should you have any query regarding any phase of your health care, feel free to ask your chiropractor.